Getting to Hotham
Mt Hotham is an ideal winter location. There are several ways to get there. You can travel by car, by air or by coach. No matter what your preference Absolute Alpine will help to get you there......
By Air - Qantas flies directly to Hotham, save on travel time.
By Car - Take in the majestic scenery at your own pace.
By Coach - During the winter months Snowball Express travels to and from Hotham.
Hotham Alpine Resort is located in the heart of the Australian Alps National Park. It's classic Australian wilderness up here. Think snowgums, think rolling mountain ridges, think Man from Snowy River country... it's breathtaking.
The village itself is at 1750m, just below the summit of Mt Hotham (1861m). And it's easily accessible, thanks to Australia's newest touring route, The Great Alpine Road.
Absolute Alpine Snow Travel Tips
- Add antifreeze to your vehicle's radiator
- Check all tyres have good tread, including the spare.
- Ensure your vehicle's battery is in good condition
- Carrying snow chains is a legal requirement. Have an under-sheet handy for fitting chains.
- Avoid sudden braking or acceleration on snow or ice.
- Use a Windscreen scraper to de-ice your car windows
- For up to date road reports call Resort Management on 5759 3550
- Where you can avoid arriving and departing during the busiest times, Friday evenings and Sunday mornings.
Driving to Hotham
Travelling by car is the most convenient way to travel to Hotham. However you do need to be prepared for ALL conditions.
The Great Alpine Road
The Great Alpine Road runs from Wangaratta in the north of Victoria, to Bairnsdale in the south - and Hotham lies in the centre.
Distances and approximate times
- Melbourne to Wangaratta - 252km/2.5 hours
- Wangaratta to Harrietville - 101km/1.2 hours
- Harrietville to Mount Hotham - 32km/35 mins. (summer road conditions)
- Melbourne to Bairnsdale - 282km/3.25 hours
- Bairnsdale to Omeo - 121km/1.5 hours
- Omeo to Mount Hotham Airport - 34km/30 mins. (summer road conditions)
- Mount Hotham Airport to Mount Hotham - 25km/20 mins. (summer road conditions)
Driving from Sydney & Canberra
- Follow the Hume Hwy to Albury-Wodonga, continue on following the snow signs to Yackandandah then turn off to Myrtleford. At Myrtleford turn onto the Great Alpine Road to Bright then Harrietville and Hotham.
Resort Entry Fees 2013
Vehicle Per Day $43.50
Season Permit $435
Diamond pattern chains are now mandatory for ALL vehicles entering the Mount Hotham Alpine Resort. Ladder chains, spider chains and snow socks are not permitted to be used at any time.
A Resort Entry fee is applicable to all motor vehicles and passengers of coaches and taxis entering all Victorian Ski Resorts during the declared snow season ( Mount Hotham – 8th June to 29th September 2013).
Day permits can be purchased via Alpine Easy Access prior to arriving at Mount Hotham. Season Entry Permits are also available and provide great value if you are planning to visit the resort for an extended period of time. Please take the time to consider which option offers the best value for you.
Car Parking in Hotham
For Day Visitors parking is available in the Corral Day Carpark situated in the heart of the Village and along the Great Alpine Road towards the Davenport end of the village, until 11pm. Parking attendants are often on hand to direct you.
For Overnight Visitors carparking is available below Bus Stop 8 towards the Wire Plain cross country area. Look for the large red sign indicating the start of overnight parking.
Getting around the village of Hotham and to Dinner Plain is easy with Village Transport.
As part of your resort entry fee, Mt Hotham Resort Management Board run a FREE Village Bus Service to help you move easily from pillow to powder, bar to bar or home after a long day on the slopes.
Bus stops are found throughout the village along the Great Alpine Road.
There is also an additional bus service to provide transport between Hotham and Dinner Plain, located 10kms towards Omeo on the Great Alpine Road.
Hotham Airport is located 20km from Hotham and 10km from Dinner Plain. Transfers from Hotham Airport to your accommodation are available from a range of operators by coach or private 4WD.
The trip takes approximately 80 minutes and guests will arrive in 36 seat Dash 8-200 series planes.
Coach transfers are available from the airport to Dinner Plain and Hotham Villages. Private transfers also on offer.
The luggage limit is 23kg so why not leave your skis at home and rent the latest demo skis from Hotham Central.. Talk to our consultants about packaging the best holiday to suit your needs. For great holiday deals in Winter 2013 call the Team @ Absolute Alpine on 1300 278 483.
Hotham Airport Quick Facts
Elevation: 1300 m
Runway: 1.5 km long, 30 m wide
Category: Licensed 3C Airport
Approximate Travelling Time: 45 minutes from Melbourne, 80 minutes from Sydney
Terminal: Designed by architects Fooks Martin Sandow of Melbourne, the terminal caters for up to 250 passengers
Our team at Absolute Alpine will gladly put together a stress free bus, accommodation and ski package for you.
Take the worry out of buying anti-freeze, hiring & fitting chains & then the hazards of driving in the snow. Take the bus!
Instead, enjoy the heated comfort of our coaches complete with video & toilet (not applicable to all services – toilet stops will be made along the way), as our alpine-trained coach captain safely drives you to Mt Hotham .
Snowball Express Terms and Conditions
Service commences: To be announced for 2013
- No Snow Policy – If there are fewer than 3 lifts operating at Hotham, due to lack of snow, two days prior to travel, you can elect to either postpone your booking (tickets valid for current season only) or cancel your booking and receive a full refund less a 25% administration fee per booking.
- Ticket valid for current season only.
- The carriage of illegal drugs, smoking and the consumption of alcohol in the coach is not permitted.
- Luggage Limit – 1 suitcase, 1 pair of skis/snowboards & a pair of boots. Any extra luggage needs to be prearranged and will be subject to a fee. Drivers have the right to refuse excess luggage.
- Freight can be carried on some services.
- All times subject to weather conditions. The company will do everything possible to ensure connections with other carriers, however connections can NOT be guaranteed.
- Stringent cancellation fees apply.
- Credit cards accepted (Visa or Mastercard).